Tuesday 31 March 2015

Support for Palestine

I don't tend to write a lot about international politics, which is peculiar as it's a subject I know well. One of the things that prompted me into politics was the international situation of the Blair-Bush era. A lot of what happened then really angered me and I still think the wars of Iraq and Afghanistan were a great mistake. I don't think they solved any problems and I think they made many others worse. Further I think many of the debt problems that UK has arose from the billions spent in both wars.



More than that I really didn't like Tony Blair's government's approach to Israel and Palestine. I remember one of the most infuriating headlines I've read was back in 2002 when Blair told the press that if the UK did not sell arms to Israel someone else would. There was a real opportunity for the UK government to put pressure on Israel to find a peaceful solution and end the intergenerational cycle of violence between Israel and the Palestinians and indeed Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Egypt.

There is no greater example than Palestine for a people betrayed so callously by the international community. I am strongly in favour of two state solution, I do believe Israel and Palestine can live in peace. I think the ideology on both sides that one political entity needs to be destroyed is dangerous. I have recently been contacted by dozens of people from the Palestine Solidarity Campaign asking the following questions:

Could you please email me to indicate if you agree with the following statements:
  1. I urge the UK Government to uphold the principles of equality, human rights and international law in all its relations and dealings with Israel.
    Yes/no
  2. I consider the construction of Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian land in the West Bank and East Jerusalem to be illegal and unjustifiable.
    Yes/no

    In achieving these principles, what are your views on the following steps that a future UK Government could take:
  3. Do you agree that one of the first acts of the next UK Government should be the recognition of Palestine?
    Yes/no/don't know
  4. Do you agree that the blockade on Gaza should be lifted immediately?
    Yes/no/don't know
  5. Do you agree that we should stop trade with Israel's settlements on Palestinian land, and stop settlement goods being sold in Britain?
    Yes/no/don't know
  6. Do you agree that the EU Israel Association Agreement should be suspended until Israel meets its human rights obligations?
    Yes/no/don't know
  7. Do you agree that the government should stop supplying arms to Israel until it complies with international law?
    Yes/no/don't know

My answers were as follows:

I shared the dismay felt by many when Israel attacked the Gaza Strip. It is a cause of great concern that the Palestinians have been treated in such an awful way for so long. Suffering in several asymmetric and terrible wars.
To answer your points one by one:

1. Yes I would if elected urge the government to uphold those principles in regard to all states and non state entities. Including the Palestinian territories and Israel itself.

2. The illegal settlements on the West Bank and East Jerusalem should be stopped. It ought to have been the priority of the international community to stop them. This needs to change and become a priority for the UK in it's relations with Israel and to put pressure on the international community to further this aim.

3. I believe it should be a priority of the next government to recognise the state of Palestine (in both the Gaza Strip and the West Bank).

4. Yes the blockade of Gaza should be lifted it brings untold suffering to the people and keeps the flames of resentment alive.

5. One of the practical steps to stopping the illegal settlements would be to review trade agreements and imports.

6. I partly agree with this, I recognise that all forms of political and diplomatic pressure should be put on Israel to work towards a peaceful two state solution. However I think severing all ties with the Israelis is not necessarily that productive. We need to offer both a carrot and a stick.

7. I have a number of fundamental issues with the arms trade generally. This is also the position of Mebyon Kernow- the Party for Cornwall. My answer in this case would be unequivocal, yes I agree arms should not be sold to Israel.

There needs to be a foreign policy that doesn't work solely in the interests of the state or alliances. It needs to be based principles and morality. 

As I finished the email: if you have any questions or comments do so below or email me robscornishblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment