Thursday 18 April 2013

stop Cornwall Council taking play equipment from parks in Penzance



In today's Cornishman on page 7 they have an exclusive story that the council is planning on taking away the trawler in the play park on the prom known widely as the Pirate park (Alexandra grounds). When my eldest was younger that play park had lots of facilities that have been stripped over the years. A little red boat by the entrance and 2 little wooden land rovers with slides on them. Steadily over the last few years they fell into disrepair and were taken away. The wooden trawler that is the center piece of the play equipment obviously hasn't been repaired in that time and is now showing the signs. Citing the fact it's 'too popular' the council now wants to take it away. Enough is enough the council needs to think twice and invest in these community facilities that are popular year round. I know lots of people that come from across West Cornwall to go there. It's one of the few things thst keeps kids happy and doesn't cost to go there. I'm sure tourists use it too, so far from saving money this will put people off coming to town. It beggars belief that the council is planning such moves when councilors are distracted with elections and calls into question the bypassing of the democratic process.

I have started a group on facebook group called Save the Trawler at the Pirate park in Penzance please join. I am standing for election but vote for me or not, agree with or me not please join the fight against this stupidity

5 comments:

  1. I'd happily sign a petition to keep this, my kids use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is it's not online yet but the link is here http://www.freepetition.co.uk/cornwall/petition/savethetrawler

      Delete
  2. Hi Rob, is there an offical petition on the council website yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not yet, not sure why there' s the delay, I'll try ringing them again tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. "Alexandra play park and it’s centrepiece" needs "it's" to be changed to "its"...yes, I'm an OCD grammar Nazi :P

    ReplyDelete