Wednesday 25 July 2012

Cornwall Council needs to support the Penlee lifeboat day

I was extremely saddened to read today that the Penlee lifeboat day will not take place this year. The organisers are blaming the amount of forms and organisation and are quoted by the BBC as saying this is "Bureaucracy gone mad". I can't express my frustration properly at this situation. Penlee lifeboat day is a great event, after Golowan one of my favourite days of the year in Penzance. I have a great amount of respect for the RNLI and the volunteer crews that not only risk life and limb to save others but invest a huge amount of time in fundraising, training and out on shouts.

These people go the extra mile to help others, a sentiment that Cornwall Council could do well to learn. Why Cornwall Council -whether it be the councillors of the leading Conservative/ Independent group or civil servants- can not go the extra mile for our brave lifeboat crew and their essential fundraising is beyond me. We should be bending over backwards to help these people not snubbing them in such a way. I think the least Cornwall Council could do is help these people, give them assistance in running the event and make this event work. If they can't do this out of a sense of good will toward good people, perhaps they need to realise that without fundraising the essential lifeboat service couldn't exist, surely of benefit to Cornwall?
My pic from a previous Penlee Lifeboat day,
a great opportunity to see the RNLI in action and donate to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment